A New Day Has Dawn...

A year ago today, this is where my family & I stood...

{For the original post from last year, click HERE .}




Watching in sadness & disbelief as my parents house literally burned to the ground - and still somehow thankful for the fact we were all able to watch it go up in smoke, unscathed.

The days, weeks, and months afterwards were long and hard at times, but my parents never faltered. They went with the flow on days they didn't really feel like it, they lived uncomfortably out of their element as they started to piece their life back together. They remained hopeful and thankful through losing it all and having the patience to literally rebuild it again...


They kept calm and carried on...


They carried themselves right back home.


Home - where their hearts truly lie.
Although they debated whether or not to rebuild on their land or just move into town, they couldn't help but long for the familiarity of the drive home after work, to the place they raised their children, to where they had made a house into a home.

They have settled in quite nicely in their new abode - of course Dad's chair was the first piece of furniture to go in.
It's fitting for him, of course.
If he wasn't outside mowing the lawn, filling his bird feeders, or piddling in the Taj-Ma-Shed, you could count on finding him in his chair.
That still rings true, don't you worry...

The first time I walked through after construction was finished, with just a few furnishings scattered about, I remember taking a deep breath & thinking -
'It feels like home.'
No, I wasn't raised there, my 1983 Original Cabbage Patch Doll was no longer at the top of the guest room closet, but it felt like walking into the house they'd always lived in. It was comfy, cozy, warm, and inviting - and stocked with snacks in the snack drawer.
We always ate together at the table for dinner. I can't remember ever eating anywhere else but at that large round table with mis-matched chairs....
'Heavenly Father,
Thank you for this day.
Thank you for this meal and the hands that prepare this meal.
Please watch over us, guide, guard and protect us.
Forgive us when we sin.
In Jesus name.
Amen.'
My Dad said that prayer every evening before we ate.
He would throw in the occasional 'Please watch over April/Ashlee keep them safe...' when one of us was out doing our own thing, just to switch it up a little.
As we got older, we would mouth the words silently while he said them aloud...
It's good to know the 'family table' is still such a big (and I do mean big) part of the new house... and yes, the prayer is still the same.


My Mom took a nice long break from cooking after the fire... they were regulars at the local 'Ready-Made-Dinners-To-Go' place.

She used to make some delicious meals... Nachos, Chicken Roll-Ups, Chicken Casserole, but her best cooking concoction by far are her Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Mmmm...
Every time I try to make some, D.Might always says 'You should really get your Mom's recipe, they're so much better!'
Don't worry, I never take offense to that either - hers really are better! Now if I could just get around to scanning in all her old recipes she had given me, she'll be back in business.
Until then, I guess they'll just have to 'settle' for my Dad's homemade spaghetti....
double Mmmmm...


A new day has dawn on Hwy 64.
Gone are the memories & feelings of helplessness from that horrible day - replaced by gratitude for the love shown by so many, hopefulness for a brighter tomorrow, and happiness for a family - my family - who has finally come back home.

Just look at those happy faces...

I guess there's only one thing left to say -

Welcome Home, Pops & Gig...

Welcome Home.

Comments

  1. April, you wrote that soo beautifully! It's so wonderful to see the transition from such a devastating time to now. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well writen!!!! i was wondering when you were going to put the new home on the blog!!! i love it!!!! welcome home to the smiths from the lawrences!
    love yall!
    ~torasa

    ReplyDelete
  3. LIZZIE, WHAT A GREAT TRIBUTE TO YOUR MOM AND DAD. LOVE NINNER

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the new house!! It's beautiful...and very well decorated might I add.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was beautiful April. That is an inspiration that your parents withstood that test and rose from it. Beautiful new home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's beautiful April!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, one lady told me "God made it up to Julie" and it seems as though he did. Uncle Brady, Seth and I were so glad to be a part of the beautiful home for the Smiths. I hope for only good things to come. love sis

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, this post made me teary eyed! Their new home is beautiful! :) Love your blog! If I had time I would leave comments on half of your posts I think....ha! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts