Let Us Never Forget

September 11, 2001

It started out as a routine Tuesday - get up, drive to town, fight for a parking spot at UCA & head on to class.
I was in the hallway in Main chatting with friends when someone ran in the building saying we had been attacked by terrorists.
At that moment in time, I really had no idea what she was talking about or what it really meant.
I sat through Trig kind of in a daze - wondering what was going on.

After class, I sped home to turn on the T.V.
And there it was.
The North World Trade Center Tower was burning -- and not 3 minutes after I had turned the T.V. on, the second plane crashed into the South Tower.
I watched it come over the Hudson, turn towards then Tower and the disappear inside it.
I just sat there and watched this tragedy unfolding before me.
I couldn't look away, even when the buildings came crashing down and people were running for their lives as the debris engulfed them, I just couldn't turn away...

I just sat there in tears, not knowing what else to do, but pray.

Just moments after that, the station cut to the Pentagon where another plane had crashed.

And yet another in a Pennsylvania field.

I eventually composed myself and made it to work.

Luckily I worked at a local flower shop with some of D.Might's family members - it was nice to have a sense of comfort in a world where everything just been turned upside down.

I remember we spent the rest of the day with the little 10 inch T.V. on the news station, listening to everything they said.

I remember sitting out in the back alley, looking towards the sky - scared of the unknown.

I took this picture on my first trip to Manhattan...

It's plaque reads:

'For three decades, this sculpture stood in the plaza of the World Trade Center. Entitled 'The Sphere,' it was conceived by artist Fritz Koening as a symbol of peace. It was damaged during the tragic events of September 11, 2001, but endures as an icon of hope and the indestructible spirit of this country. The Sphere was placed here on March 11, 2002 as a temporary memorial to all who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center.
This eternal flame was ignited on September 11, 2002 in honor of all those who were lost. Their spirit and sacrifice will never be forgotten.'


As you all know, I've been privileged to go to Manhattan the past two years - each time, making it a point to go to 'Ground Zero'.
To see the small bits and pieces of destruction that are still there and then to see the progress that has been made - it is all very moving.
Standing right there where it all happened, I can't help but think back to that day and all of those who lost their life.
2,998 people started their day just as I did that day - get up, get ready, go to work/school - never thinking that particular day would be anything out of the ordinary...

I will never forget...

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comments

  1. Thank you for posting this. We should all reflect on this. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awsome!!! good job!!!~torasa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts