Tough As Nails

After we went to the Pumpkin Patch Saturday, D. had to go mow a few yards. I was putting Ava's pumpkin's on her Playhouse porch & D.Might was putting things in his truck. Ava always helps him load up his trailer & unload it when he comes home. None of this is new to her. She was outside with us, just hanging out, so I thought...when I was walking down the sidewalk towards her - I saw the gate of D.'s trailer come down on top of her.

There are two latches on either side of the gate - sweet little Tutu unlatched one side, then walked to the other side & unlatched it, too. That's when it fell on top of her, pining her between the 30lb. gate & the concrete.  
I COULD NOT GET THERE FAST ENOUGH
- it was all happening in slow motion & it was like my legs couldn't move fast enough to get her out from under there before it crushed her! She wasn't under it for more than 10 seconds - I shut the gate with one hand & swooped her up with the other. I really expected to see a pool of blood around her when I got to her - but there was none. The gate landed on her chest. She screamed the most blood curdling scream I've ever heard. Her Daddy (the "Doctor", b-t-w) quickly took her from me (because, let's face it - I was a little beyond hysterical) & started checking her out. No bruises, no swelling, no bumps - just some red marks & lots of tears shed (by me & her :). He started pushing all over her back, abdomen, head, arms, etc. to make sure any area wasn't tender - and it wasn't. I still felt the need to have her X-Rayed - to make sure all her organs were still in the right place & there were no broken ribs. Sure enough - there weren't. The Lord was watching over this little girl, keeping her safe in a situation that could have easily been horrific.  
Thank you Lord for watching over this child you have intrusted me with to raise, to watch over, to love and care for - Thank you Lord for keeping her safe.
We left the clinic with the good news & of course, headed to Sonic for a milkshake for that sweet baby girl! Here she is with her 2 favorite comfort items: any type of ice cream & her Pooh blanket :)
*For the record - D.Might has since locked pins into the latches to prevent this from happening again!*


Oh, you thought the story ended there, huh?!

After I brought her home, we noticed she wasn't walking anywhere - she said "My feets hurt." I just chalked it up to the hysteria of the day & the "concrete rash" on her foot.
Sunday, she walked maybe 7 steps out of her room, into the hall & started screaming again - "My leg hurts - I can't walk!" I had no idea where this was coming from - I thought she might have twisted her ankle when she was knocked back by the trailer gate. We went on to church, she stayed in her chair during Bible Class & of course, sat with us during Worship. We had lunch & even went to a Birthday Party (b-t-w - Happy Birthday, Emma!). She sat in my lap or had Lori Beth hold her almost the whole time - would've even get down to play with the other kids. Yeah, I kind of knew it was serious when she just watched the other kids playing & didn't join in. We went to services again in the evening & then lounged around. She could flex her feet, kick, move all of her leg, toes, feet, etc. - she just would not stand or walk on it! I called the Dr. this a.m. & an x-ray revealed -
HER LEG IS BROKEN!!!!
We went to OrthoArkansas this p.m. to have her cast put on - only to hear the Dr. say (after an examination, which did not faze my child one bit) "Um, I don't think it's really broken, but I'll do another X-Ray to make sure."......... He came back in "Well, yeah, sure enough - it is broken!" She got to pick either a pink or purple cast & of course she chose purple (her favorite color :) - I'm just so glad they didn't have to set it or pin it!!


That baby is tough as nails!!! To have a broken leg for almost 2 days & not cry except for when she stood on it!! She never woke up in her sleep with pain or anything - she is so much tougher than I am!!

Of course, Mimi & PawPaw had her a Care Basket ready, so we stopped by on our way home to pick it up (& conveniently eat some dinner :). She got a bunch of goodies to keep her occupied while she's immobile - lots of art projects, puzzles, & books - and she got a Sock Monkey too! She just loves it already!

We also got a call from Gigi & PopPop, they "just needed to come over for a second" - they brought her some balloons - a Horsie, Pooh, & a Schoolbus (all her fave's :) & also brought some Cookies (thanks Sissy!)

Needless to say - I am wore out. I am so proud of my little girl - she is such a trooper!! She didn't cry or whine all day (pretty sure the hot dog & pizza for lunch, followed by a cupcake helped) & she was so pleasant for all the grandparents, too! Wish me luck the next few weeks! All indoor, non-mobile ideas for keeping Tutu entertained are welcome :) As well as gifts for the girl, food, laundry-fairies, free house cleaners...

Comments

  1. Bless her heart! I love the purple cast. Perfect pick Ava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake just told me about Ava last night! Bless her heart!! I hope she heals quickly. The purple cast does suit her though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is sooo tough!! After you called yesterday.. my kids talked about Ava non-stop!! Even at soccer last night.. Brady was telling everyone about Ava's booboo! I hope she recovers quickly and 3 weeks goes by really fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS! GIRL I AM JUST SPEECHLESS!!! I WOULD HAVE NEVER THOUGHT HER LEG WOULD HAVE BEEN BROKEN!!! SHE SURE IS TOUGH, MORE TOUGH THAN MY BOYS I BET! I JUST HATE THIS FOR HER, BUT AFTER SEEING ALL THE COOL STUFF SHE HAS GOTTEN I BET SHE IS LOVIN' IT!!! WELL IF YOU NEED ANYTHING JUST CALL! I KNOW YOU WONT BUT AS A FRIEND AND FAMILY MEMBER I WANT TO SAY IT!! LOVE YALL AND I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YALL!! GIVE HER A SQEEZE FOR ME AND COLT! LOVE ~ TORASA

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is such a tough little girl! The purple cast is too cute, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. when my gift arrives i expect my own post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless her little heart! What a trooper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless her heart! She is a tough girl...I know she's lovin' all the attention right now, though! :) If you need anything just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. April, bless her heart! And yours too, I know that must have scared you to death! Please let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do for ya'll!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts